HISTORY AND TREATY 7
HOME           HISTORY AND TREATY 7          ABOUT INDIAN VILLAGE 

ABOUT INDIAN VILLAGE

Indian Events Committee

The Indian Events Committee in partnership with the Tipi owners, is responsible for all native programming at the beautiful Indian Village. For the 10 days of Stampede, the tribes of Treaty 7, represented by the Nakoda (Stoney), Kainai (Blood), Siksika (Blackfoot), Peigan, Piikani and Tsuu Tina (Sarcee) Indians raise their tipis and re-enact life as it once was. They demonstrate Indian games, dancing, meat cutting skills and their tipis are opened to the public for inspection. Arts and crafts are exhibited and available for purchase along with bannock, a staple of the Indian diet.

In the Village there is an outdoor stage where the Stampede Pow Wow is held. This is a dance competition, attracting some of the best native dancers,competing for 10's of thousands of dollars in prize money.

Additional information on the Treaty 7 natives and tribes represented can be found at www.treaty7.org.

Indian Village History
 
1912
The first Indian Village at the Stampede was held in 1912.  The first Stampede only lasted six days and had approximately 1800 natives in attendance.
1923
The Stampede became an annual event as of July 1923. The tipis were located by the entrance to the Sun Tree Park and adjacent to a replica of a Hudson's Bay Company post.
1950
A misunderstanding concerning the way the Indian Village was to be run caused the Stoney's to boycott the Stampede. At this time there were 30 tipis – 10 from each Siksika, Stoney and Tsuu T'ina. The Blood and Peigans were not officially part of the Village during much of the 1950's. The 10 Stoney tipis were probably not missed too much because of the torrential rainstorms, which caused many problems with all the events. The rain was so bad in fact, that the media ran stories about the Stoney “rain dances”. The misunderstanding was cleared up after Stampede and the Stoney natives returned with their usual 10 tipis for the 1951 event
1960
In the early 1960's, the Kainai and Piikani tribes were recognized as official Indian Village participants.
1965
The Village was flooded and many personal items and artifacts were destroyed. The Stampede compensated individuals for their losses.
1974
The Stampede expanded and the Indian Village moved to its current location at the south end of Stampede Park, along the Elbow River.
1996
The Wild West was the theme for the Stampede this year and this is when the Council Tipi, the demonstrations and the Interpretive program made their first appearances at the Village.
 
In 2012, Our History Our Legacy booklet was designed as a free give-away specifically to celebrate the Stampede Centennial. It took about 2 years to compile the information and design the booklet. It was a joint project between volunteers and tipi owners to gather family stories and show some of the unique events and history of the Indian Village.
A PDF of the booklet is available by clicking on the link above.

Kainai
 
Piikani
 
Siksika
 
Stoney Nakoda
 
Tsuu T'ina